1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Pastoral 2012

Gethsemane Men’s Fellowship

PrintE-mail

We begin a new fellowship group for men in our church so that they may be built up through the Word and Christian fellowship. I am working together with our Adults’ Fellowship committee to organise GMF into a vibrant ministry.

Why this new effort? The Lord expects Christian men to be leaders of their homes and church. The Lord has called them to bear the burdens of spiritual leadership. When men become spiritually weak, backslidden, and worse still, unfaithful, their homes and church suffer severely from all the consequences of poor leadership.

Unfortunately, today there is a great lack of good spiritual leadership from men. The situation today has reached a dire stage that we need to earnestly pray, “Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men” (Psalm 12:1).

In these perilous days, we notice that even men in the church are increasingly becoming self-lovers, worldly and unreliable. As Proverbs 20:6 laments, we are also compelled to say, “Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?” I am very convinced in my heart that our times are fast becoming like the worst times in the history, when men became thoroughly carnal and undependable in the leadership. The situation is becoming like Micah’s description of his day, “The good man is perished out of the earth: and there is none upright among men” (Micah 7:2).

We cannot be complacent. It is high time that we rise up to build up our men in the truth and wisdom of God. We must stir up our men to live godly lives. We must urge them to fight a good fight against destructive secularism that invades our homes and church. We must equip them with the perfect Word of God.

So I call all the men in Gethsemane BPC to gather together on this Saturday (14th January) at 4pm for the first meeting of Gethsemane Men’s Fellowship. The meeting will be held at the premises of The Gethsemane Care Ministry.

Dear brothers, let us not hesitate. As Paul wrote, “Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong” (1 Corinthians 16:13). God expects us to exhibit our manliness for His glory. We cannot allow the devil and the world to make us fools, who fail in their Godgiven responsibility. There is no greater honour than being the kind of man our Lord expects us to be. There is nothing higher than this.

Come, join the fray. Let us rise up with manly vigour to do His will.

3rd Missionary Conference Testimony

Cornelius Koshy

It was time well spent indeed at the missionary conference held in Gethsemane Bible Institute, Ethiopia. Rev Koshy, Rev Ephrem and Rev Reggor each preached a few messages on the theme “All Nations Shall Worship the LORD”. In my testimony, I would like to share the lessons I have learnt and I pray that these lessons will be yours too.

Every Sunday, when we go to church, we tell our family and friends that we have gone to worship the Lord. But do we, with understanding, know what it means to worship the Lord? Worship is reverence and honour rendered to God alone. Matthew 4:10 says, “…Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.” To be only physically present in the house of God does not count, for if our hearts are not solely attuned to Christ, it would the same as not worshipping God and therefore denying God the glory and honour due unto his name.

The next question that we need to ask ourselves is: Do I value Christ in my mind? Matthew 21:28- 32 says, “But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard. He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went. And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not. Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you. For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.” A mind of obedience speaks louder than our mouths. I must surrender to God’s will and live a life of obedience, no matter what the cost. Exodus 4:23 – “And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.”

Next, worship is but in vain if it is not Christcentred. Matthew 11:27 says, “All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.” If Christ does not reveal the greatness of God, we will never know Him. Without seeing God, no one can know God. Only Christ has seen God; Christ is the only one that can reveal God to man. How can we worship God if we do not know God? Therefore, our worship must be centred on Christ so that we can know God.

Our worship to God not only requires us to examine our hearts and our focus, but it also includes our attitude towards worship. “When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday” (Psalm 42:4). “How amiable are thy tabernacles, O LORD of hosts! My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God… For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness” (Psalm 84:1-2,10). These verses express the psalmist’s excitement, almost desperate anticipation towards the worship of God. May I too experience some of this same excitement towards the worship of God.

Apart from the lessons I have learnt from the conference, it was a blessing to hear the missionary reports of all our missionaries from various countries. In every report, the glory of God was evident and God’s hand was seen in the struggles the missionaries shared.

All glory to God for His provision for my family’s trip to Ethiopia. Such missionary conferences and similar mission trips are opportunities for Christians to be rooted deeper in their faith in God. I pray that more of us in Gethsemane, Singapore, would be engaged in mission work, whether be it in prayer, giving, or going to the mission fields to encourage God’s people there.

Pastoral Exhortation