1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Pastoral Exhortation - Series of 2010

Pastoral Exhortation

PrintE-mail

My dear Gethsemaneans,

We have two very exciting weeks ahead of us. Firstly, Bible Witness Media Ministry's first retreat will be held this week (17-19 March) at Pulai Springs, Johor. Thirty-five people have signed up. We pray for an exhilarating study of God's Word on the topic "The Glory of His Grace", and a refreshing time of fellowship. God willing, more of such retreats will be conducted by BWMM in the future.

Secondly, the Family Gospel Night will be held this weekend (20 March, 6pm). Praise God for every ardent effort made by each of you to bring your unsaved relatives and friends to hear the Gospel. Spare no effort to invite more people as we have another six days before the event. May the prayers that we offered for the salvation of those who would come be granted by our great God and Redeemer.

Lastly, on the 28th of March, we will celebrate the 22nd anniversary of our church. It will also be the last afternoon worship service as the Lord has provided us with an opportunity to worship in the morning. Let us get together with joyful and grateful hearts to praise our God for His enduring mercies and faithfulness towards us.

Today, Pr Daniel Lim and I will be ministering God's Word in Calvary Jaya B-P Church, KL, Malaysia. We will return tonight. Brethren, let us uphold one another in prayer as we go about fulfilling the work of the glorious kingdom of Christ.

Below are two thought-provoking and relevant articles from Rev Reggor Galarpe, our missionary in Cebu. May God bless each of us for His glory.

A Letter To Fathers
by Rev Reggor Galarpe

“I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father” (1 John 2:13).

Fathers, let me remind you that your moral obligation to the family is not confined only to addressing and meeting their physical needs. In your burden to fulfil your physical duties and responsibilities, it could be that you have overlooked your equally (or even more) important responsibility, that is, in looking after the spiritual welfare of the home. Realize that it is not enough that you bring home the pay packet, provide shelter, feed and clothe the family, send the children to school, etc., you are also responsible for their spiritual nurture and care. How are you doing in this area?

Hereunder are a few questions that I would like you to consider…

1. Have you been living your Christian life in a way that your children can look up to you as their model and example?
  2. How is your conduct? How is your speech? How is your lifestyle?
  3. Have you been regular in your reading of the Bible? How about your prayer life?
  4. Do you take effort to lead the family in daily devotion and prayer? Have you taken time to teach your little children how to pray?
  5. Have you been regular in your church attendance, bringing your family with you every Lord’s Day, in prayer meetings and in other church activities?

Your answer to the above questions will not only help you see yourself in relation to your spiritual duties and responsibilities but also help you determine your own spiritual condition, which I believed plays a very important part in the discharge of your spiritual duties. Forget about seeing your family growing in the knowledge and fear of the Lord, if you yourself are not in it. Conversely, your personal devotion and daily walk with the Lord will not go unnoticed by your wife and children; they will surely follow your godly examples.

Fathers, realize that you play a very important role in the spiritual nurture and upbringing of the family. To bring up the family in the ways of the Lord is one solemn duty that brings about a lasting legacy that is glorifying and honouring unto God.

Superpowers Of The World
by Rev Reggor Galarpe

"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world" (1 John 2:16).

Don’t get me wrong, I am not writing about countries and nations that have nuclear power capabilities and weapons for mass destruction but rather that of another worldly power that is capable of destroying the life of a Christian and entangle him in a worldly and sinful lifestyle. The Apostle John wrote in 1 John 2:16 about this worldly power in three different aspects:

1. The sensual power – This is none other than the lust of the flesh which manoeuvres through the various senses of our body in response to some fleshly and carnal appetite, which is enmity against God and not pleasing unto Him. Romans 8:7-8 tells us, “…the carnal mind is enmity against God…So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.” Paul in Galatians wrote, “For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other” (Galatians 5:17). That is why we are instructed to flee youthful lusts.

2. The visual power – The lust of the eyes! Unlike the previous sensual power that manoeuvres through the various senses, this one makes its way through our eyes. We used to teach our children the song “O be careful little eyes what you see, O be careful little eyes what you see…” It is because you cannot underestimate the impact of the lust of the eyes. Realize that you can fall into sin of adultery by looking at a woman lustfully (Matthew 5:28). The righteous Job, conscious of not falling into sin, made a resolve in Job 31:1, “I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?”

3. The personal power – This is pride of life! That desire for one to be exalted, that pursuit for vainglory, of esteeming oneself better than others, that lusting after honour and prestige and fame in the eyes of men. Like what Jesus said of the Pharisees, “For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God” (John 12:43). This is one of the ungodly characters that will dominate the last days (even our time today). We can read it in 2 Timothy 3:1-5, “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.” At the very heart of all these is the pride of life.

Indeed, these superpowers could really bring about destruction in our life when left unchecked and unguarded. Don’t be deceived! Take heed of what Paul wrote in Ephesians 6:10-11, “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.”

Pastoral Exhortation