1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer>

Pastoral Exhortation - Series of 2010

Mission Trip To Ethiopia

PrintE-mail

“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven” (Ecclesiastes 3:1).

Praise God for the opportunity to visit Ethiopia and the Gospel work started by Rev Ephrem Chiracho Ouchula and to have a good time of fellowship with the brethren there.

Before 11am on 22nd May 2010, the plane touched down at Addis Ababa airport. What a warm welcome from familiar faces! – Rev Ephrem, Bro Engida and Sis Ejigayehu. Pastor had arrived a few hours earlier from Nairobi, Kenya. We boarded a taxi to the Emmad Guest House which is less than 10 minutes away. It is a furnished apartment which was to be our abode and base for the next 10 days. An hour later, Rev Ephrem was back at the Guest House to fetch us to the church/parsonage for lunch. The staple food is injera, a traditional Ethiopian sponge-like flat bread which is served rolled-up. Dinner was also at the parsonage. Truly, thank God for the hospitality of Rev Ephrem and family throughout our stay.

Come Sunday, 23rd May, Pastor Koshy was the Lord’s messenger at the Gethsemane Bible- Presbyterian Church of Ethiopia. The next day in the morning, Pastor Koshy, Rev Ephrem, Bro Engida and I visited Alem Gena. It was our first trip during the 10-day stay in Ethiopia. Two brothers are presently staying there to take care of the land. We noted that there are many small houses built very near to the property. Though their close proximity to the property requires us to build concrete walls to fortify the place, it also presents a great opportunity for future outreach and ministry.

Thank God that on 25th May, Tuesday, Pastor Koshy and Rev Ephrem were able to meet up with the contractor to discuss the plan for the building of the church and Bible college. In the night, Pastor Koshy conducted a training session for church leaders. A second training session was held the following day for the committee members of the various ministries of the church. On the same day, Bro Engida brought me to visit the National Museum of Ethiopia where I was given a glimpse of the history of Ethiopia. We also visited the Lion Zoo and some areas of the city. Ethiopia is generally safe and peaceful and her people are friendly.

On 28th May, we had a good Bible Conference which comprised 2 sessions. The morning session (10am-1:00pm) was a Gospel meeting during which a lady was gloriously saved. Praise God! The afternoon session which started at 3pm was for Christians. Pastor preached at both meetings. On the same evening, Bro Engida brought Pastor and me to Bole Road where we had our dinner.

A second trip to Alem Gena was made the following day. This time, the contractor came along with Pastor Koshy, Rev Ephrem, Bro Engida and I. Measurements of the land were taken so that we can have a rough idea of the location of each building. After that, we had a good time of fellowship with Dn Tefera and Sis Eji over lunch at their home. This was in fact our second visit to their home. Thank God for their hospitality. That night, the owner of the Guest House organised a dinner for all the guests.

On Sunday, 30th May, the Gethsemane Bible-Presbyterian Church of Ethiopia celebrated her 4th anniversary thanksgiving. It was indeed a joyous occasion to remember and praise God for His bountiful blessings upon the church. Pastor Koshy preached from Jude 3 and Matthew 24 on the theme of earnestly contending for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. Praise God for enabling me to share on the main mission of Gethsemane Bible-Presbyterian Church, Singapore, and also on the two great commandments given by our Lord Jesus Christ (Mark 12:30-31). In the evening, we invited all fulltime staff and their families to a Chinese dinner at Da Tang Restaurant.

The next day at about 7:30 pm, we boarded the plane bound for Dubai with a connecting flight back to Singapore.

“The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest” (Matthew 9:37-38). May the Lord continue to move the hearts of more young men and women in Ethiopia to serve in His vineyard. Let us also pray for our brethren in Ethiopia that they will always look to the Lord and trust in Him at all times. “Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain” (Psalm 127:1).

Pastoral Exhortation